Another Teacher's Aide?
Call the Newspaper in Education
office at 303-776-2244 ext. 338 and ask to set
up a quick session for you and/or others at your school to see how
these newspapers, curriculum materials, and lesson ideas mesh with
what you're already planning to teach. It's free, comes with great
goodies, and can be scheduled for your convenience.
- Papers are delivered early mornings for same
- Materials are available to all teachers.
- Free of charge to educators!
- Sponsors are secured by the Daily Times-Call.
- SIGN UP NOW to assure paid sponsorship!
Cindy Piller- NIE Coordinator.
How and Why to Use Newspapers in Your Classroom
A just-released study involving cities in 9 states
(including those in Colorado) linked with local and state reading
findings from two other recent studies in Minnesota and Texas.
Combine that with your opportunity to utilize free resources from
our national-award winning Newspaper in Education program. This
spring the Daily Times-Call's program received First Place in General
Excellence for papers with a circulation of 15,000 - 49,999 and
an additional award for collaborative projects. For more information
about the program, and how you can receive these materials, contact
Cindy Piller, who has worked all summer long to get things
ready for you. Call 303-776-2244 ext. 338 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Findings in Brief
* For all students there was a 10% increase in test scores for those who used
newspapers compared to those who did not.
*In all cases the more newspapers that were used throughout the year (the intensity
of use), the greater the gain in test scores.
* In all cases the greatest increase was gained by middle school
* In schools that were high in low-income, non-English speaking,
or minority students, the increase in test scores for the newspaper
group was as much as 29%.
Newspaper in Education does lead to an increase in test scores.
The more newspapers used, the greater the increase, and the greatest
was with minority or disadvantaged students.
papers are great and very helpful.
- "I would like to have the Earth Week tabs
- "Really appreciate this support.!"
- "Everything in the Teacher Guides was very
well organized and easily reproducible.... I plan on using more
of these newspaper activities next year."
- "My students enjoy reading the paper on
Friday, and your lessons plans really make this time a valuable
- "The serialized stories are a great service.
Im interested in using more. Thanks for this great service."
- "The Monkey King series was
EXCELLENT! The kids loved it, and when we missed reading it, they
were sooo upset! I hope you have something similar for next year."
- "I made good use of your Newspaper in Education
teacher's guide to work on constructed responses for CSAP preparation.
- "Can we increase the number of papers we
order for next year?"
- "Pigskin Geography material is excellent.
- "Id like to use the Olympics program
this next year."
- "Thanks so much Kid Scoop is great!"
Alicia Sanchez Elementary
Angevine Middle School
Berthoud High School
Career Development Center
Casey Middle School
Centaurus High School
Centennial Middle School
Crest View Elementary
Eagle Crest Elementary
Erie Middle/High School
Fairview High School
Faith Baptist School
Fall River Elementary
Front Range Community College
Prairie Ridge Elementary
Frederick Middle School
Frederick High School
Heritage Middle School
Indian Peaks Elementary
Loma Linda Elementary
Longmont Christian School
Longmont Estates Elementary
| Longmont High School
Longs Peak Middle School
Louisville Middle School
Lyons Middle/High School
Masters Hand Academy
Mead Middle School
Messiah Lutheran School
Mountain View Elementary
Niwot High School
Platt Middle School
Prairie Ridge Elementary
Rocky Mountain Christian
Rocky Mountian Elementry
Silver Creek Middle/High
Skyline High School
St. John the Baptist Catholic School
Summit Middle School
Sunset Middle School
St. Vrain Valley Adult Education Program
SVVSD Media Center
Twin Peaks Charter
Ute Creek Charter
Weld County High School Diploma Program
Westview Middle School