Back to LongmontFYI
















Back to 1999 Headlines


Ex-detective wraps up

by B.J.Plasket
Daily Times-Call

BOULDER Former Ramsey case Detective Linda Arndt claims she knows who killed JonBenet Ramsey , but doubts that person will ever be brought to justice.

She refused, however, to name the person she believes killed the little girl nearly three years ago.

"While the investigation is ongoing, I don't think it's appropriate I say that name out loud," she said Friday in the final installment of a five-part interview on ABC-TV's "Good Morning America."

Arndt, who was the first detective on the scene when the 6-year-old beauty queen was killed on Dec. 26, 1996, resigned from the Boulder Police Department in April after filing a federal lawsuit claiming the department had violated her free-speech rights and made her the scapegoat for a bungled investigation.

"I was given no other options," she said of her lawsuit, adding the case has caused her to be seen "as the village idiot."

She also defended herself against allegations she "stonewalled," or kept information away from another detective on the case, saying she didn't trust him.

"Not at all," she said without elaborating.

State court officials, meanwhile, are still making arrangements to handle the media blitz expected when the Ramsey grand jury completes its work. Media entities have already ordered some 600 phone lines at the Justice Center, while state and local court personnel are working together on courtroom seating arrangements.

Sherry Patton, the public information officer for the Colorado Judicial Department, said the plans don't mean officials know what's going to happen or when.

"(Boulder Court Administrator) Bob Bernard and I have been meeting over the last two years," she said.

Patton said a plan is needed because of limited seating in the courtrooms.

"We want to make sure we plan it correctly," she said.

Patton said the plan can be used "for anything" in the case that might require a courtroom, including hearings or a trial, but said she has no idea what will happen in the case.

"If we have only a certain amount of time, we want to make sure we're ready," she said.

The term of the grand jury, which hasn't met since May 24, will end on Oct. 20.