BOULDER — A man police suspect attempted to sexually assault two Longmont women last year made his first appearance in Boulder County District Court on Monday after an extradition from California.
Boulder County District Judge Noel Blum set his bond at $100,000 and scheduled Mauricio Montalvo, 26, to return to court at 2 p.m. Wednesday for a formal filing of charges.
He was still being held at the Boulder County Jail on Monday night.
In September 2004, Longmont Police fingered Montalvo as a suspect in two attempted sex assaults in August last year.
But Montalvo couldn’t be found at the time.
Initially, police didn’t believe the two crimes were connected, but Cmdr. Craig Earhart said that circumstantial evidence was beginning to point to one suspect.
The first incident reportedly occurred Aug. 8. The victim told police Montalvo had attempted several times to proposition her, pushed her against a wall and wrestled her to the ground behind a business on the 1600 block of north Main Street. She reportedly told police that he got scared and ran away.
In the second incident, police suspect he entered a 27-year-old woman’s home through a window, jumped on top of her while she was sleeping in her bedroom, and tried to tear off her clothing.
He and the woman struggled for about 10 minutes, then her roommate returned home and confronted a man waiting in car in front of their home. Police said they suspected the men were actually looking for a woman who previously lived in the home.
Blum also ordered that Montalvo have no contact with either of his victims and ordered that he remain at least 100 yards away from the Longmont residence from the latter attack.
He was arrested on a Sept. 7, 2004, warrant issued on suspicion of burglary, criminal mischief, third-degree assault, sexual assault and sexual contact.
Pierrette J. Shields can be reached at 303-684-5273, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.